28 February 2007

Whew!

I may not be smarter than one, but at least if I went head-to-head with a fifth-grader, there's a very good possibility I might come out on top.

According to a quiz on the Fox Website, I am AS smart as a fifth-grader - not bad when you consider it has been many years since I was a student in Mr. DelSesto's fifth grade class at Lippitt Elementary School in Warwick, RI.


Answering 9 out of 10 questions correctly, the only one I missed was "What is the largest South American country by area?" I nearly selected the correct answer - Brazil - but instead checked Argentina. I'm not sure why. Maybe because the name is longer.

I'm old enough now to know that I should always follow my gut, which is the advice I would give the adult contestants who'll appear on Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?, a game show hosted by redneck comedian Jeff Foxworthy and conceived by Survivor creator Mark Burnett, which premiers in three episodes this week. (Way to milk it.)

On the show, adult contestants will be asked a series of questions, supposedly taken from an elementary-school text book. If they answer 11 questions correctly, they win a million bucks. Not bad. And apparently, if they don't know the answers, contestants will have the opportunity to ask a panel of actual fifth-graders who play along. Hopefully these fifth-graders are not just a gang of pint-sized know-it-alls who bask in the glory of stupefying adults. Cause I know how I'd react to that.

They look innocent enough. But I'd watch out for the tall girl in the jean jacket. She looks like she's ready to rip you a new one.

No comments: