05 February 2007

If you're gonna hurl.....

I read yesterday in a blurb published in the Sunday Globe Magazine that some Boston-area restaurants are now serving a popular French delicacy that might make even cow tongue- and frog leg-eaters shiver.

Bone marrow.

The writer describes the gelatinous-looking material as having a deeply meaty flavor. I wonder if Kathy Burge tried it herself.

It's served by one restaurant, the piece explains, as a red wine and bone marrow risotto. At another, as a side dish to the filet mignon. And in the most appalling and revolting (at least to me) way, it's offered to diners at one restaurant right on the bone.

I like to think of myself as having sophisticated palate, but when I think about eating the insides of an animal's bone, I want to hurl.

No comments: