06 March 2007

Why I don't watch the news

I don't really watch the news anymore. Partly because my formerly free time is now occupied by being a parent, and there's only so many stories of shootings, rapes, fires, suicides, robberies and general death and destruction one can take.

And if I'm being honest, it's a bit desensitizing, learning about the world around you through the eyes of those murderers, burglars, arsonists - and victims. It's not that I'm unsympathetic. It's just that I'd still like to believe that there are good things going on in the world, even if they don't make headlines.

So I get much of my news from the Net, where I can pick and choose what I want to read about. Yesterday, I happened upon a video with a tease I couldn't resist, because it was just too outrageous to believe it could be true. In it, a couple of Texas teens place a joint between the lips of two boys, ages 2 and 5, who inhale and take off coughing, as the teens laugh and urge them back for more. I watch in horror, and over the blurred face of the toddler in the video, I picture my own son, being exploited for the amusement of a couple of dime store punks, and I get angry.

But not just angry, saddened. Because it reminds me that not everyone respects the sanctity of childhood, not even when the perpetrators are still children themselves. I hope those boys receive proper punishment, but I also hope that when brought to face what they've done - and I guarantee there's so much more than that 45-second clip can even begin to uncover - they are smacked hard in the face with their own stupidity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog every time you send it to me. It's funny that this crazy thing that has happened to us, parenthood, has pulled us so far apart and at the same time I feel more connected to you than ever. I read the blogs to be reminded of my dear friend. I must say that the video you just told us about nearly brought tears to my eyes being the mother of two precious tiny people. This is really just a thank you for reminding me that I'm not alone in those feelings for the news. It's like I'm seeing the world through a new set of eyes now that I'm a mom. Thank you for sharing those new eyes with me.

Martina