16 March 2007

I Love/Hate 'New York'

Reality TV has sunk to a new low when a reject from a show starring Flavor Flav that features the former Public Enemy time-keeper being fawned over by a group of trashy women, gets her own spinoff series.

"I Love New York," which I know has been on the air on VH1 for some time, is equally as trashy, disgusting and degrading as it's parent show. However, it's also as strangely and repulsively riveting. It features a woman, nicknamed 'New York,' a big-breasted, over-the-top hoochie who was kicked out of Flavor Flav's mansion, deemed unworthy of being his lady friend. Now she's got the mansion and with the help of her mother, is supposed to pick a man from the group of meatheads, drug addicts, babies daddies and plain, old jackasses that have been invited to live there.

The only reason I know so much about the show is because every time I go to the gym, it's on. It doesn't matter the day or hour. And when I hop on the treadmill, and see these guys duking it out in a boxing ring, dancing in their underwear or any other one of the "tests" New York puts them through, I roll my eyes. When I purposely plop in front of VH1, I EXPECT to see music. But they too have gone the road of MTV.

So, I listen to my ipod and strain my neck for distractions from CNN, which is informative and educational and all that, but, to be honest, not very entertaining for getting through a workout. And because my ipod shuffle, which can hold over 200 songs or something , contains only 28 that haven't been updated in about 2 months, I am constantly sneaking peaks at New York and her small gang of wannabes. It's like witnessing a train wreck you can't peel your eyes from.

Now that she's down to five guys, I am actually curious as to who she picks - the gay body builder, the pothead, the Eminem wannabe, the hothead, or the quiet one who has no personality. I am disgusted now, with myself.

Oh. Wait a minute. News flash. For the purposes of this blog, I have just checked the VH1 Web site and discovered that New York has whittled her selection of men down to three. So not only have I been watching an absolutely revolting piece of garbage, I have been watching reruns of an absolutely revolting piece of garbage.

But still, I think she's gonna pick the pothead.

2 comments:

KJ said...

Anyone want to bet that Britney ends up on this show in '08?

Michelle said...

I'd watch!