06 March 2007

Straight outta Rhody - no longer

Straight Outta Rhody, not really sure where that came from. Well, yes I am, but it has no bearing on what this blog is all about. An ironic play on N.W.A.'s Straight Outta Compton, Straight Outta Rhody says yeah, mother f'ers, I'm from the Ocean State, so what you gonna do? But since very little of this blog is actually about RI, it's just not working. Not to mention that I'm not really very gansta.

So, while I am from RI, and no one will ever take that away from me (no matter how hard they try), I had to come up with something a little more appropriate for the content of this site. And what better than a made-up word?

Singuloso, loosely defined, means "all mine."

It was coined during a particularly heated game of Pictionary being played by myself, Rich, my brother, and my sister-in-law. We always play guys against girls, and because my sister-in-law is an amazing artist, the girls usually win. If you are a Pictionary fan, you know about the all-plays (a card, when drawn, that allows all teams to guess the clue) and in a game where one team is a sure thing, those dreaded all-plays can prove devastating to a couple of men who, when one draws a fire then a stick, and angrily points between each one with his pen while the white sand runs too quickly through the tiny hourglass, the other guesses "fire stick." What the hell is a fire stick? You guessed it - a match.

On each turn, when the girls drew their card, the guys would ask hopefully, "All-play?" because they desperately needed that chance. When we shook our heads, they would solemnly utter, "singuloso," meaning the clue was ours, and only ours, for the taking. On their turn, the sentiments, of course, were the exact opposite.

Anyway, this word, singuloso, has survived all these years of Pictionary-playing, and has come to define our game play. And, in the same vain, I hope it can come to define this blog, which is filled with my thoughts on things that may concern you, and others you don't give a damn about.
Whatever the case, it's all mine.
My own.
My precious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes