30 March 2008

Why A 30-Something Should NOT be a hip-hop dancer



For weeks, I'd been waking up on Tuesday mornings with multiple hematomas spread across my knees and shins, the cause of which may have been misinterpreted by more dirty-minded individuals. (Come on, you KNOW you are out there.)

These bruises, however, I am ashamed to admit, are caused by my weekly hip hop sessions. Think multiple knee spins with nothing between your knees and the cold, wooden floors but a pair of cotton sweat pants. Finally, after last week's train wreck, I'd had it and this week caved and went to Olympia and bought some knee pads. Yes, I need a pair of knee pads, please, for hip-hop dancing. Yes! I said hip-hop dancing.

Anyway, this last dance class was on, and I was spinning with the best of 'em, my knees cushioned by a thick piece of heaven. Now if I could only, actually, dance!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Those brusies mean that you are kickin' it at class. You go girl. Keep on dancin'

Ari Herzog said...

Curious. What do you get out of a hip hop class that you can't do at a dance club playing hip hop music?

Michelle said...

Not sure what you mean, Ari.

There are many things, exercise, the company of fellow dancers, doing something I wouldn't normally do. Plus, there's a recital at the end of the class.

Don't you ever do something just for fun?