22 April 2007

Death of the PC

Our computer has been dying a slow death for the last two years. Blue screens, unexpected shutdowns, sizzling noises coming from inside the guts of the thing. It made every log on experience a virtual nightmare, like waging a war you know you're going to lose.

Yesterday, our Gateway took the final, slow walk down death row. It was three years old.

It was a good computer, for a year. We went through a lot together. Deadlines, late-night fact-checking, the uploading of my first digital photo. I can never replace those memories.

But what I hope to replace is that f'ing awful customer service. When my computer was overheating, one of the "technical support" people told me to stack it on top of some books to give it more air. When I told her that solution wasn't very technical, she responded, miffed, that she was only making a suggestion. What's more is that I had to pay $50 every time I needed to ship the thing out, then wait 5 days for it to come back, only to blue-screen on me again a few weeks later. It made working as a freelance writer the worst job in the world.

So, when it totally bit the dust yesterday (and by the way, even though this computer has given me trouble before, I STILL didn't back everything up) we went out and, after much research, bought a Mac.

So far, so good.

Now if I only knew what a widget was.

No comments: