18 January 2008

I never thought it would come to this

Does this look like an outfit that a 30-something stay-at-home-mom would wear? Ok. Well, any self-respecting, 30-something stay-at-home mom?

As readers of Singuloso may know, a couple of months ago I, along with a couple of friends, decided to partake in a hip-hop dance class at a local studio, DESPITE the fact that there would be a recital at the end of the class.

The class was everything I thought it would be - stomping around to the likes of Kanye West in baggy sweatpants and tee-shirts, a suburban dose of 'street.' Now I will be made to look like a deranged, dancing candy-striper. (Yes, the tight-fitting bodice, in shiny, glittery, silver lettering, indeed reads DANCE.) What's worse is that I am not the slim and fit person I was in college. Doubly worse? During our routine - which by the way will not be done to a hip-hop diddy, but an N'Sync Christmas song (the theme is dancing through the holidays) - a group of 7 year old tumblers will join us on stage - WEARING THE SAME COSTUME!

The possibility of quitting just before the recital still exists for me. And each time I look at that costume, rumpled up in a plastic bag in my closet, that possibility becomes increasingly real. But (and at this point it's a big but(t), literally and figuratively) should I decide to join in this circus, I will NOT be posting the recital date here on Singuloso.

5 comments:

KJ said...

I am going to find out when and where this recital is and sit in the front row, screaming "GO, Girl" and hootin and hollerin and carryin on. I may even wear door knocker earrings. I think it's awesome that you're doing this. The outfit -- right down to the elf leggings and rhinestone embellisment -- is a hilarious shame, but as a whole, it's awesome.

Michelle said...

Thanks for the boost, but I definitely got more than I bargained for when I signed up for this. I never wanted to bring shame upon my family.

Anonymous said...

oh my. i hope Rich takes a video. when is it?

Heather said...

you could always do a few shots before hand to make it a little easier to strut your "elfin magic" stuff!!

Michelle said...

Heather-I just may need to do that!